The M-FlexiLog unit, constructed in Békéscsaba by the group’s Marzek Flexibles division in less than 12 months, is dedicated to the production of flexible packaging, pouches, sleeves and wraparound labels.
Located a short distance away from Marzek Kner Packaging, the group’s existing Hungarian folding cartonboard and labels plant, also in Békéscsaba, the new facility, to employ 120, was inaugurated on 14 September.
Traiskirchen, Austria-based Marzek attracted investment incentives worth more than €3m from the Hungarian government in support of the development located on a 25,000m2 site. The plant includes a fully automated colour mixing system along with a 14m-tall high bay warehouse with 8,000 pallet bays.
M-FlexiLog unit is equipped to supply packaging products in particular to the food manufacturing and pharmaceuticals sectors.
The old established group’s main Austrian Marzek Etiketten operation is its labels plant at Traiskirchen. In 2005, Marzek acquired the leading Hungarian graphics company Kner in Békéscsaba which became Marzek Kner Packaging.
Four years later, the Austrian group took over the leading Ukrainian labels company Petchatny Dvor in Dnepr, Ukraine which is now a subsidiary producing sheet and reel labels, sleeves, flexible packaging.
The labels group was originally founded by Karl Marzek in Vienna back in 1879 and the firm introduced the first adhesive labels to Austria in 1956. Its current CEO Dr Johannes Michael Wareka is a descendent of the founder.
Marzek group, which today employs 650 overall, recorded an annual turnover last year worth €56m. A significant €20m investment programme launched in 2016, which includes its latest plant project in Hungary, is set to conclude in 2018.